Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Matthew is sick..

Poor little Matthew is sick. He has had a fever since Saturday! He finally let me take his temp this morning and it was 103! He was on fire! He touched his knee and said, "Ow Mommy, that's hot!" He burned his hand on his knee! So I thought OK, it's time to go see Dr. Kelly. He heard me on the phone trying to make the appt and FREAKED out! He has a phobia of the doctor. The only time he goes is for the well-child check-ups, or to get a flu shot. And at all the well child check ups he has gotten shots, so he associates the doctor with shots. This is the first time that I have brought him to the doctor when he has been sick. We have been very lucky that he has been pretty healthy... except for the colds that seem to frequent our house on a monthly basis! :) So Dr. Kelly is out of the office until mid-Feb. Boo! So we saw a new doctor and she was very nice! Matthew did a great job! He let her do all the normal stuff... check out his ears, eyes and even look in his throat. She said there was some "puss back there"...yum! So, you know what that means... yes a strep test/throat culture! I felt soooo horrible for him. I had strep about a 1,000,000 times as a kid and was traumatized after every throat culture. It was the saddest thing! She shoved the gigantic q-tips down his throat and made ME hold him down...UGH! I could cry just thinking about it. So she left the room to do whatever they do with the nasty q-tips and Matthew is sobbing saying, "can we please leave, Mommy?" Can I tell you how bad I wanted to bust him out of there? :) I didn't though. So she comes back about 15 minutes later and Matthew has not moved from my lap... the rapid test came back negative so we have to wait for the 24 hour test... which I'm sure will come back negative too. She said in that case, it's just a virus... which is why I don't ever bring him to the doctor when he is sick. But since he had the fever for so long I thought better safe than sorry. :) If he still has a fever on Thursday, we have to go back. If that is the case, I think I will ask Ben to do the honors of visiting the doctor with Matthew! But in the mean time, thank God for Motrin!! It brings his fever right down and he is good as new! So after the torment of the doctor we went to Target and he got a new soccer ball and Cheetos! And he got straight Gatorade (not watered down like I normally do) for lunch! Now is taking a nap... bless his sweet little heart! It still amazes me how much love I have for him! There is nothing better!

No comments: